Sony’s PlayStation 3 received an overwhelming response from the customers back in 2006. It was launched in Japan and it is seen as a vengeance of Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and Nintendo’s Wii.
The ultimate edge of PS3’s gamers is its unified online gaming feature which is the PlayStation Network. One feels like being a part of the game creators. Top multimedia features are on the console of PS3 and it is also connected with PlayStation Portable. While having all the high features, PS3 is not protected from occasional freezes and one knows that. It is the most irritating time when one is enjoying the best of the gaming time when everything suddenly comes to a halt.
General causes of PlayStation3 freezes
It is rare that PS3 will freeze but they do occur sometimes and are caused by scratched console disk or overheating.
1. Overheating: When the console is kept in a stuffed room where there is not ample breathing space, then it will get overheated and too much heat on the PS3 will cause a meltdown. It can easily be remedied when the console is placed all by itself and no other electronic machine is nearby.
2. Scratches: Scratches on the disk that can cause looping inside and this usually happens at millisecond speed. The console is not actually frozen in this case. Its the time lag that gets continuously repeated at certain times.
The freezing of PS3 is generally not too serious. In case of worst freezing, the console has to be taken to the Sony store from where it was brought. The fact is that the owner can only do some basic trouble-shooting for fixing the problem.
Fixing PS3 freezing
If a PS3 freezes, it has to be kept away from other electronic machines at home. Its power button has to be pushed until a beep is heard. The loose cables have to be checked and they can be pulled and plugged back in. The hard drive has to be aired out for a while and placed back in the console after a considerable time.
If this does not help then the repair guide can be consulted to try fixing the PlayStation 3. It is completely detailed and illustrated.
PlayStation 3 Repair Guide summary
Briefly, this is how it is done:
– The console has to be taken apart carefully
– The CPU and GPU of the console have to be checked. A white can be seen that may be cracked and unevenly spread, it will need a cleaning.
– The console’s GPU and CPU has to be cleaned using a dry paper, if a sand paper is to be used then an extremely rough one should not be used.
– The flat surface has to be cleaned and if still there is a need, Arctic Silver 5 Compound can be purchased and used. It has to be applied evenly and thinly on both surfaces.
– The surface which distributed thinly makes sure that every single gap is covered.
– The heat sink cap can be finally put back on.